Sunday, May 8, 2016

Ten Things of Thankful - The Mother-lode Edition





Once again, I come to you and express my Ten Things of Thankfuls.

Number one thankful, it is our sixth year as a family.



Last Sunday on May 1st not only did we celebrate our family day – I also got the entire family together for a typical Italian Sunday meal, and to celebrate my parents 6oth Wedding Anniversary.

“Il Pranzo” translates to lunch – growing up our Sunday dinners always began in the early afternoon, on the menu was my mom’s Sauce that she always called ragu, which means meat sauce, and not the jarred sauce.

So I did the same - Early in the morning, I started the sauce; I added meatballs, hot (spicy) Italian sausage and braccioles.

A bracciole is a thin steak stuffed with whatever you like - I simply did mine with garlic, cheese, and parsley, rolled it tightly, tied it up with string - a cute little meaty bundle.

At 2:30 we all gathered together – ate the meal I prepared of a ragu with Rigatoni, there was ricotta cheese on the side available if one wanted to add a dollop of it to the pasta, a salad, braccioles, meatballs, and sausages. 
 
I also made escarole but somehow it was forgotten and left in the oven where I placed it to keep it warm.

My parents were not there for dinner, but came for dessert; we surprised them with a cake for their many years together.  Sixty years, wow!


I’d like to add at this time, how nice it was to have an impromptu get together.  It seems that it’s not done that often anymore.   Today our lives have generated so many wonderful things that help us daily.  

Although social media is fun and texting is quick and easy, lately, I am comparing it to pumped air- air that is generated to make us think we are breathing clean air. 

We think we are socializing but we are not… yes, maybe some of us don’t have a choice and that perspective is a solid connection. However, a physical meet needs to be considered more these days. Because on Monday morning when I l left my safe haven to go out into the world, I was armored with happy thoughts of the day before, and more importantly I kept in mind who I am, and where I came from;  which is a lineage of very strong minded and smart people.

Number two goes to sixty years of marriage, there is so much more not being said there.

Number three; physical connections – these connections are not only for the family but friends too.  Let’s keep in mind, not only are we joined by a special bond, but we also cheer for another always.


Today is Mothers’ day – Happy Mother’s Day especially my mom, and to all Moms, women, and girls; an all-important connection that needs to be celebrated always.

I was not feeling well last week, a painful problem that goes with the many changes that are happening now. 

Number four is keeping it together and figuring out ways to help me.

Five and Six are Yoga and vitamins; which seems to be helping.   



I have a daughter that does yoga with me…. (I always knew I would) – that is number seven.


Teddy is showing us how a downward facing dog is done, correctly.

 It was Cinco de Mayo on Thursday


Empanadas from a place in Queens called; Mama’s 
Empanadas.

Nick brought them home.

I did not have to cook.

Last week is behind us, yesterday I had surgery, removing cholesterol white spots that formed on my eyelids – this is the second surgery. I am hoping with the many lifestyle changes  that I’ve made recently , and I am now on Lipitor, that they  won’t come back. 
  
Keeping my fingers crossed.


What are you thankful for today? It can be as serious as I am here for another day, halleluiah; or I’m not washing dishes today; the word thank you itself is a prayer let’s say it more.






4 comments:

  1. Hey Marisa, your food was making me hungry. Yum, and yum. Your parents are a beautiful couple, what a feat to have been married 60 years. They both look very healthy. Celebrations are wonderful, no matter what the occasion. I do yoga, too. Your socks and gloves are cool. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Happy anniversary to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I please come to your house for dinner? It sounds so much like how our family cooks, but when someone else is the cook it always tastes so much better, don't you think? :D We love bracciole - my Mom makes it for our Christmas celebration and it is ah-mazing. We do prosciutto, provolone, parsley, garlic inside and it just melts into one happy fall-apart roll of deliciousness!
    I'm starting yoga with a friend soon and looking forward to it.
    Happy anniversary to your parents! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, such good food is so often made at your house. We didn't grow up with that at all, so I'm flying blind and teaching myself how to cook. My grandma's family was quite poor, seeing as how she grew up through the depression with 6 siblings, and they canned and canned and canned their own food. She was worked to the bone as a kid. When packaged and processed food came out, she jumped on that bandwagon as fast as she could. Very few things were made from scratch at her house. And my mom was a picky eater, so variety wasn't in our house, either. Basically, I'm jealous of your family's traditions surrounding great food. :)
    Happy Anniversary to your parents!!
    Happy 6th Anniversary of gotcha day! Hard to believe, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Now its your turn, let it all out it feels good .....tell me how you feel! Love to hear from you, I love comments ...they are the best part!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

College Bound

School Days

Featured Post

The Fair-Weathered Writer

Hello… yes it’s me; I was wondering…. (Do you remember me?) No, I cannot pull an Adele on this sight, laughing with my insid...

My Words

“I Mustache You Some Questions”. Four Answers About Me # 1000 Speaks of Compassion 10 things about my day 10 things of thankful 10 things of thankfuls 10 years 100 100 posts 1000 voices of compassion 100th celebration 100th post 1970's re-runs 1st Day of School 2013 30 Days 30 Days-writing 30 years 80th birthday celebrations 9/11 Remembered 9/14/2014 A dream weekend a new year A poem a sigh of relief a truth revealed accomplishment accountability adjustments adopting after-school Aha moments all about me American Pie an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and Together baketball Be Fearless be kind be nice bedroom being creative being happy Best Decade Better offer or Procrastination Bird birthday birthday eve celebrations birthdays blessings Blizzard 2016 Blogger Issues bragging bravery breathe Bud and Thorn Building on Bullying bullying at work came like a lion Cartoon change the world clean rooms Clean-up commitment common core-an embarassment Compassion Compassion Is A Gesture...Not A Behavior! Confident content courage cursive handwriting dads Day 15 Daylight Savings Time Decade diary do your best doing nothing don't judge dusk Easter Einstein fable Fat Ass Talk favorite favorite time of day Fed feeling Dazed finals finding contentment finding the thankfuls first day of March fitting the part Follow Me Four-letter word that starts with s Freaky things free spirited Friday Friday nights friends friendship future Geriatric Keyboard getting hugs gifts Girls Night Out good advice Good bye good grades good kids gratitude.... Great Women of History Greek Goddess of love and marriage Groovy Gypsy gun laws Halloween Past Handle With Care Edition… Happy Happy Halloween Happy Mother's Day - Connect happy new year Happy Valentine's Day - Ten things of Thankful- love is in the air Happy Weekend Is Number One hard work he kissed her Heat Hello hidden gems Holding On With Two Hands-Ten Things of Thankful honor roll hopeful hosting hugs human spirit humanity I am here i am Orlando I want more Icons inspiration James John Lennon journals Journey joy July July NaBloPoMo keep trying kind words last day of school laughter lazy day let it go letting go Life is Good live in the moment LOL lost Hour love blogging Lunar Elipse mangia mangia mangia...no talk mangia...no talk mass shootings must stop Medal of Honor Memorial Day message to me moondance Mother's Day movie Music my day My Favorite Character My Pinterest Board my promise My Sandy Beach My Writing NaBloPoMo netflix New Glasses Nice Weekend Nicknames Nobel Peace Prize nostalgic days Nov 13 numbers and personalities October Days October skies October Smells ole on the menu One Year of Compassion... Only To Me ordinary days organize Oscar night Oscars painted skies pancakes Part One Gearing up Part two a good day Passionately Curious Peace Pessimism vs. Optimism pink whipped cream poem poems pony Praying presents Promised Kept Prying Pumpkin spice Craze Queen Hera Quick and Simple quick list Radiators retirement notice Romance Rosary S – A – T – U – R – D – A - Y...Spells Happy And A Bunch of Thankfuls Saying Smile and Cheese Makes Me Giggle Selfiebration seven wonderful show up Silence silly traditons sisters Snow Day Surprise Song Sound spring spring break time off SquaareKat Squarekat stop summer. summertime Sunday Sunday morning my ten thankfuls teachers Teddy Ten Things of Thankful Ten Things of Thankful - Fill Me Up- Concert - Friends - Thank You - Giggles - Sushi Ten Things of Thankful - No one gets hurt - broken foot- silver linings - thank you friends Ten Things of Thankful -Come Together Ten things of Thankful – The Guilty Pleasure Version….cousins reunion Ten Things of Thankful time two Ten Things of Thankful- I'm no fun anymore Ten Things of Thankfuls Ten Things of Thankfuls So Far So Good Ten Things of Thankfuls; or 30 reasons to celebrate TEST Thank you Thank You For Being My Friend Thankfuls are Gifts The “Everyone can hear you the day the music died The Dragon & the Dragonfly The Fair-Weathered Writer The Mother-lode Edition the past The Road Not Taken The Rose Then Things of Thankful Thinking loudly three weeks Time To Nurture is to Care and Encourage today in history tradition twenty dollars Unlimited Potential Vacation Van Morrison Veterans voice vulnerability Wacky we are all in it together We are Warm We ate good.. weekly thankfuls what do you want to say?” Series what is next What’s better than that- Ten Things of Thankfuls! when she spoke who am I. what is our purpose why it should be taught Women are strong Words writing writing again writing space