Thursday, February 19, 2015

Compassion Is A Gesture...Not A Behavior!



I’m not sure what tone I want to use for tomorrow’s 1000 Voices of Compassion.  Earlier this week, in my 10 Things of Thankful post, I tried to explain my absence since October, although I explained that it was a personal problem, I also added how very sad it was to listen to the news during the year-end.

I am a collector – I gather information, conversations, sayings, stories, lyrics from songs, verses from poems… recollections that can help me make sense of any event, or comfort me during a time when it is needed.  These so-called belongings are tucked in notebooks, diaries, and memories. 

Today I read a post over at An Honest Sinner  called Compassion Is Not Only a Noun 1000-speak. Ms. Sandy Ramsey explains Compassion should be a verb; regardless of what Merriam-Webster’s definition is on paper.  Compassion is an act! 

This reminded me of a saying that I often heard growing up; truthfully it has nothing to do with compassion or maybe it does, however I am mentioning  it and am reminded of this saying because there really isn't a precise translation to this Italian saying.  The saying is Bella Figura - I even have a blog called Bella Figura, but I am not here to promote the blog, I can’t, nothing is written on it – just another item that I have tucked away.
  
Consequently, Bella Figura translates as Nice Figure – which doesn't have the same meaning when used. Growing up I would hear the adults use it when a gesture was made. When my mother’s sister passed away in Italy – even though we didn't have a funeral here in New York, everyone we knew flocked to our home to be with my mom for Bella Figura’s sake.  I was taught because of Bella Figura we should always bring something to a friend’s home when visiting. I always felt that karma was also linked to this adage.

I describe it as a gesture not a behavior, an attitude!  Why am I speaking about this in a post that should be about compassion? Because ….

Compassion is a gesture…not a behavior

Compassion is not pity – but can be vulnerability, which in my opinion is really bravery.

I believe to show vulnerability, whether I am the beggar asking for help or the giving human, we both display a moment of courage.

I am very sad for the human race – I think we all forgot something important.  Moreover, I am not sure what it will take to remember.  So much has happened, so much is still happening.  

Truthfully, when will “Compassion” trump “An eye for an eye”? 

Why are we not horrified or ashamed?

Throughout history, there has always been evil lurking in the shadows…less fortunate, violence, and indecent acts to so many societies.



I think we have made many mistakes, I feel that it is easier to breed hate than to instill compassion- I am not sure where the hate comes from? 

FEAR?

EGO?

PRIDE?

IGNORANCE?

Many, many years ago, back in the day of the VCR and renting movies, I came home to find my husband watching a movie about a group of soldiers given the task to kill Hitler.  I don’t remember the movie and neither does my husband; I walked in right at the end of the movie, which was quite interesting, when the movie ended, the screen turned black and this is what we saw:

“Stand tall all you men for you have killed the beast… but the bitch that bore him still lives!”  Anonymous

The bitch is not a woman, but represents hatred.

Compassion destroys hatred!



If you would like to join in with the 1000 Voices for Compassion, we'd love to have you.
There is a Facebook group.  Folks who tweet can use #1000Speak.  Link a post through one of several hosts, including Lizzi and Yvonne, the two bloggers who started this whole thing in the first place.








8 comments:

  1. Compassion destroys hatred!***

    YES!! Yes! With Compassion, we can transform the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will that eye for an eye thing end? It's not nice. Everybody loses. When, indeed, will compassion trump? Wouldn't it be wonderful to see it in our lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it would be wonderful - Thank you

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post! And I agree compassion is an act, an attitude, which all of us need to adopt...practice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two things you wrote really struck me: the expression "bella figura," which I now love and which I totally agree is linked to karma. But also that vulnerability is bravery. I teach my daughter that you can't be brave without being scared first, and I think that's the same idea. If we could all be brave enough to show our vulnerability, the world would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete

Now its your turn, let it all out it feels good .....tell me how you feel! Love to hear from you, I love comments ...they are the best part!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

College Bound

School Days

Featured Post

The Fair-Weathered Writer

Hello… yes it’s me; I was wondering…. (Do you remember me?) No, I cannot pull an Adele on this sight, laughing with my insid...

My Words

“I Mustache You Some Questions”. Four Answers About Me # 1000 Speaks of Compassion 10 things about my day 10 things of thankful 10 things of thankfuls 10 years 100 100 posts 1000 voices of compassion 100th celebration 100th post 1970's re-runs 1st Day of School 2013 30 Days 30 Days-writing 30 years 80th birthday celebrations 9/11 Remembered 9/14/2014 A dream weekend a new year A poem a sigh of relief a truth revealed accomplishment accountability adjustments adopting after-school Aha moments all about me American Pie an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and Together baketball Be Fearless be kind be nice bedroom being creative being happy Best Decade Better offer or Procrastination Bird birthday birthday eve celebrations birthdays blessings Blizzard 2016 Blogger Issues bragging bravery breathe Bud and Thorn Building on Bullying bullying at work came like a lion Cartoon change the world clean rooms Clean-up commitment common core-an embarassment Compassion Compassion Is A Gesture...Not A Behavior! Confident content courage cursive handwriting dads Day 15 Daylight Savings Time Decade diary do your best doing nothing don't judge dusk Easter Einstein fable Fat Ass Talk favorite favorite time of day Fed feeling Dazed finals finding contentment finding the thankfuls first day of March fitting the part Follow Me Four-letter word that starts with s Freaky things free spirited Friday Friday nights friends friendship future Geriatric Keyboard getting hugs gifts Girls Night Out good advice Good bye good grades good kids gratitude.... Great Women of History Greek Goddess of love and marriage Groovy Gypsy gun laws Halloween Past Handle With Care Edition… Happy Happy Halloween Happy Mother's Day - Connect happy new year Happy Valentine's Day - Ten things of Thankful- love is in the air Happy Weekend Is Number One hard work he kissed her Heat Hello hidden gems Holding On With Two Hands-Ten Things of Thankful honor roll hopeful hosting hugs human spirit humanity I am here i am Orlando I want more Icons inspiration James John Lennon journals Journey joy July July NaBloPoMo keep trying kind words last day of school laughter lazy day let it go letting go Life is Good live in the moment LOL lost Hour love blogging Lunar Elipse mangia mangia mangia...no talk mangia...no talk mass shootings must stop Medal of Honor Memorial Day message to me moondance Mother's Day movie Music my day My Favorite Character My Pinterest Board my promise My Sandy Beach My Writing NaBloPoMo netflix New Glasses Nice Weekend Nicknames Nobel Peace Prize nostalgic days Nov 13 numbers and personalities October Days October skies October Smells ole on the menu One Year of Compassion... Only To Me ordinary days organize Oscar night Oscars painted skies pancakes Part One Gearing up Part two a good day Passionately Curious Peace Pessimism vs. Optimism pink whipped cream poem poems pony Praying presents Promised Kept Prying Pumpkin spice Craze Queen Hera Quick and Simple quick list Radiators retirement notice Romance Rosary S – A – T – U – R – D – A - Y...Spells Happy And A Bunch of Thankfuls Saying Smile and Cheese Makes Me Giggle Selfiebration seven wonderful show up Silence silly traditons sisters Snow Day Surprise Song Sound spring spring break time off SquaareKat Squarekat stop summer. summertime Sunday Sunday morning my ten thankfuls teachers Teddy Ten Things of Thankful Ten Things of Thankful - Fill Me Up- Concert - Friends - Thank You - Giggles - Sushi Ten Things of Thankful - No one gets hurt - broken foot- silver linings - thank you friends Ten Things of Thankful -Come Together Ten things of Thankful – The Guilty Pleasure Version….cousins reunion Ten Things of Thankful time two Ten Things of Thankful- I'm no fun anymore Ten Things of Thankfuls Ten Things of Thankfuls So Far So Good Ten Things of Thankfuls; or 30 reasons to celebrate TEST Thank you Thank You For Being My Friend Thankfuls are Gifts The “Everyone can hear you the day the music died The Dragon & the Dragonfly The Fair-Weathered Writer The Mother-lode Edition the past The Road Not Taken The Rose Then Things of Thankful Thinking loudly three weeks Time To Nurture is to Care and Encourage today in history tradition twenty dollars Unlimited Potential Vacation Van Morrison Veterans voice vulnerability Wacky we are all in it together We are Warm We ate good.. weekly thankfuls what do you want to say?” Series what is next What’s better than that- Ten Things of Thankfuls! when she spoke who am I. what is our purpose why it should be taught Women are strong Words writing writing again writing space